Saturday, October 27, 2007

Evolving - It's Liberating!


Man is not the enemy here, but the fellow victim.

• When she stopped conforming to the conventional picture of femininity she finally began to enjoy being a woman.

• The feminine mystique has succeeded in burying millions of American women alive.


Betty Friedan - The Feminine Mystique


Well she used to run around with every man in town,
Spend all my money; Lord I'm playing her half-ass game
Put me out, it was a pity how I cried,
Table's turnin', now it's her turn to cry,
Cuz I used to love her, but it's all over now.
Cuz I used to love her, but it's all over now.

(B. & S. Womack 1964)




I ache to think that I made any Woman entomb herself in the Feminine Mystique. I weep to think on it - all the furniture moved, comestibles hauled, dishes washed, floors scrubbed, and dinners cooked, because I selfishly entombed women! Bastard! Cur! Sexist!

Thanks Betty, I feel unburdened.

No comments: