Tuesday, March 03, 2009

With the Kool Kidz at Chicagoist - The Blago Book


I get out of the neighborhood when my kids let me off the leash and I venture to the North Side. The Woman Who Has Captured My Heart lives up North - no kidding. She has me doing things that I have not done in years - no, I shower and groom with great gusto and regularity thank you - get all dogged up and go hear live music ( jazz mostly) attend the theatre, peek in galleries, cane louts and ne'er -do-wells . . .

I like the Flatiron district of Wicker Park at the intersection of Milwaukee Avenue, North Avenue, and Damen Avenue. Cafe Absinthe with bartender Brendan from New York is a great spot. Among the muffler's and soul-matched Dudes, I'm the Geezer in J.C. Penny black top coat that some DuPage County Sonovabitch left when he grabbed my Brooks Brothers at the Illinois Crime Commission Dinner hosted by Patrick Elwood last Spring, Irish farmer cap, $ 15 Regular Boys Haircut from John's on 111th and crew neck sweater over button collar shirt.

'Whoa! Who let that Square in there!'

Lookee Here, your father's hip he know what cooks!

In that spirit I turn to Chicagoist a franchise Big City hipster website that always seems to capture the pulse of Chicago . . . North of Bridgeport anyway.
After reading John Kass's great send-up of Milod's tome I treated myself the Chicagoist treatment. Our kids drew from the AP posting on this item:

It's like watching a train wreck,” Martin told the Sun-Times in reference to Blago’s appearance on several network television shows since Jan. 26. “And I'm not sure, in this economy especially, people will pay money to read about a train wreck.” According to the Associated Press, a Blago book deal or talk show might be a viable option for the ex-governor’s two-pink-slip household, now down two salaries worth $277,000 a year.

Literary agent Ted Weinstein, who helped a Nevada school teacher turned campaigning congressman hook up with Random House, predicted the governor could land a book deal valued at up to six figures if - and only if - he admits he is guilty or spills about some friends. “If he says, ‘Here's how the whole world works’ -- the underside of Chicago, naming names -- damn, we'd all want to buy that,” Weinstein told the Sun-Times. Blagojevich’s public relations agent, Glenn Selig, whose firm also represents Drew Peterson, confirmed the ex-governor has been offered more than one book deal, but stayed mum on the possible contents of such a book.


Would that they offered more commentary Ala Steve Rhodes' Beachwood Reporter Now, that lad hands me a giggle with regularity of a Dick Durbin about-face.

As to Blago's Book . . . Who's gonna read it to him?

No comments: