Friday, May 30, 2008

John McCain: Chicago My Daily Observer Report & I got . . . got Boo-zed in Greendale, WI


I attended John McCain's Town Hall Meeting in Greendale, WI and asked a question about school choice to which Senator McCain articulated his Education agenda for his Presidency that embraces school choice,including vouchers and home schooling.

Click my post title for my report to Chicago Daily Observer - Chicago's Best Source for News and Commentary.

Strange. I mentioned that I was a Chicago Democrat and folks in the audience boo-ed me. It was noted today in the report by GREG J. BOROWSKI of Milwaukee Journal Sentinal

While the event was billed as an open forum, with no questions barred, the crowd Thursday was clearly in McCain's corner.

The only boos came when Pat Hickey stood up and identified himself as a Chicago resident and a Democrat. He quickly noted to applause: "There are a lot of us supporting Senator McCain."

Hickey, a teacher at a private school in Chicago, asked McCain about school choice, which McCain supports.

Other questions ranged from college affordability to the appointment of Supreme Court justices. All brought familiar responses.

One woman questioned McCain on the war and its cost to the economy.

"It's succeeding," McCain said of the war. "I can look you in the eye and tell you it's succeeding


http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=756569

When I sat down I said, 'Hey, I'm for McCain.' The lady next to me offered with pitying eyes, 'It's not that you are a Democrat, Honey, but never wear a plaid sport coat when you're wearing striped britches.'

Duly noted, Ma'am.



McCain Photo by Marie T. Sullivan: Chicago Daily Observer Arts and Culture Editor

1 comment:

Bert said...

Aside from the zing of being able to rile ‘em with the ol’ “even me a Chicago Democrat supports John McCain” shtick, are you really still a Chicago Democrat?

If so, surely you still have faith in our beloved leader Hizzoner Mayor Richard M. Daley, right?

It will probably be tough then, given the penchant for guilt-by-association so heavily favored in these blogs, to vote for Daley again after you’ve read (or re-read) this press release he gave back in April:

“There are a lot of reasons that Americans are angry about Washington politics. And one more example is the way Senator Obama’s opponents are playing guilt-by-association, tarring him because he happens to know Bill Ayers.
I also know Bill Ayers. He worked with me in shaping our now nationally-renowned school reform program. He is a nationally-recognized distinguished professor of education at the University of Illinois/Chicago and a valued member of the Chicago community.
I don’t condone what he did 40 years ago but I remember that period well. It was a difficult time, but those days are long over. I believe we have too many challenges in Chicago and our country to keep re-fighting 40 year old battles.”
Wait a minute. If Daley worked with Ayers and you voted for Daley, then…
I do agree with John Hagee that Hitler was fulfilling God’s will though. These crazy pastors!

Congrats on the Journal Sentinel appearance.