Saturday, January 15, 2011

A Hard Rahm's Not Gonna Fall



The estimable Arthur 'Moseley' Brown MSNBC political commentator's version of the Dylan classic

Oh, what did you see, my blue eyed son ?
And what did you see, my darling young one ?
I saw a newborn baby with wild wolves all around it
I saw a highway of diamonds with nobody on it
I saw a black branch with blood that kept drippin'
I saw a room full of men with their hammers a-bleedin'
I saw a white ladder all covered with water
I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken
I saw guns and sharp swords in the hands of young children
And it's a hard, it's a hard, it's a hard, and it's a hard
It's a hard rain's a-gonna fall.
B. Dylan

Well, Rahm Emanuel proves that a tough guy is the guy who can take it and he is one tough guy.

The race to replace Mayor Daley entered a new phase on Friday. You might call it, “Gang up on Rahm.”

During a joint appearance before the Chicago Tribune editorial board that was more like the first mayoral debate, Carol Moseley Braun, Gery Chico and Miguel del Valle were like a tag-team attacking Rahm Emanuel.

They hit the former White House chief of staff on everything from his abrasive personality and his proposal to reduce city pension benefits for existing employees to his support for curtailing teachers’ right to strike to his role as a roadblock to immigration reform.

They hammered him on his stint as a member of home mortgage giant Freddie Mac, which critics blame in part for the foreclosure crisis. Braun even accused Emanuel of throwing women “under the bus” by excluding abortion coverage from President Obama’s health care reform act.

Given the opportunity to question her opponents directly, Braun jumped on Emanuel for some of the take-no-prisoners antics that earned him the nickname, “Rahmbo.”

“It’s been reported — in fact I’ve had a conversation at one point — with the congressman to whom you sent a dead fish. And you’re reported in the New York Post as telling your workers to, `Take the Tampons out and get to work,’ “ Braun said.


Senator/Ambassador/Pitch-Gal Carol, I am toxically shocked! Such language! Such a Trope! Dead fish and tampons?

The race for mayor is a dilly. Out here in the hustings, the helots watch and wait to vote.

Rahm Emanuel, it seems to me, will outlast everyone but Carol Moseley Braun coming up to the primary.

No comments: