Saturday, January 23, 2010

Our Populist President: Lonesome Barry Joad in The Grapes (of) Waffles


In a diner/sits a miner
and our Presidential Whiner . . .(To Darling Clementine)

President Obama (sota voce) - to no one in partic'lar -just talkin' - just sayin'!

Takes no nerve to do something, ain't nothin' else you can do.

Sure don't look none too prosperous.

Seems like the government's got more interest in a dead man than a live one.

If there was a law, they was workin' with maybe we could take it, but it ain't the law. They're workin' away our spirits, tryin' to make us cringe and crawl, takin' away our decency.

That Rahm. He might have been a preacher but he seen things clear. He was like a lantern. He helped me to see things clear.

I been thinking about us, too, about our people living like pigs and good rich land layin' fallow. Or maybe one guy with a million acres and a hundred thousand farmers starvin'. And I been wonderin' if all our folks got together and yelled... Fox'd really get me then, I expect.

They'd drag me anyways. Sooner or later they'd get me for one thing if not for another. Until then...

That ain't it. It's just, well as long as I'm an outlaw anyways... maybe I can do somethin'... maybe I can just find out somethin', just scrounge around and maybe find out what it is that's wrong and see if they ain't somethin' that can be done about it. I ain't thought it out all clear, I can't. I don't know enough.


Then it don't matter. I'll be all around in the dark - I'll be everywhere. Wherever you can look - wherever there's a fight, so hungry people can eat, I'll be there. Wherever there's a cop beatin' up a guy, I'll be there. I'll be in the way guys yell when they're mad. I'll be in the way kids laugh when they're hungry and they know supper's ready, and when the people are eatin' the stuff they raise and livin' in the houses they build - I'll be there, too.

But - just somethin' I been thinkin' about. . . . Why can't I just eat my waffle?


Profound apologies to John Steinbeck, John Ford, Henry Fonda, Ma, and Mrs. Butterworth.

No comments: