Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Spike O'Donnell - Da Real M'Coy

Edward 'Spike' O'Donnell lived in the Auburn-Gresham neighborhood at about 83rd and Loomis - near Foster Park. He died there - with several trips to Englewood and later Little Company of Mary Hospitals, where he recovered from gun-shot wounds and assorted broken limbs due to the nature of his vocation. Spike O'Donnell was a Slugger, A Tough Guy, A Hard Egg, A Bootlegger, A Crime Czar, A Hitter, A Burglar, A Strong Arm Guy, A Lecturer . . . yes, a lecturer.

In his varied career spanning four decades Edward J. O'Donnell managed to stay one-step ahead of the undertaker and two steps ahead of the G-Men. He is the original American Hood - The Real M'Coy. George Raft tried to emulate him no actor could duplicate him. Humphrey Bogart was scared to death of him.

In the next couple of weeks I plan to put together some points of reference and reprint some Chicago Tribune newscopy. I would like to learn more about this guy from the neighborhood Hood.
February 8m 2006 1:28 PM

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7 comments:

NOC said...

Did end up finding anything more about Spike?

Anonymous said...

Did end up finding anything else about Spike?

pathickey said...

Yes Nicole,

I really enjoy the man. Spike O'Donnell deserves more - and respectful - attention.

Tigerrrrr said...

I wish someone knew a little more. I am Edward's great-grandson.

pathickey said...

Barret,

Happy Thanksgiving!

I think that Edward J. is a very fascinating man. I will be discussing his life next week with a brilliant biography by the name of Rose Keefe.

I made Spike a major charcter in my novel the Chorito Hog Leg, Book One: A novel of Guam in Times of War - I hope I did him some samll justice.

Unknown said...

Do you have any sources of info about Spike? I am researching my family history and believe he may be the Uncle of my Grandmother Mary Edwards (nee O'Donnell)

pathickey said...

Paul,

I used sources from the Chicago Tribune Archieves exclusively, as Mr. O'Donnell's Chicago family want their privacy respected.

I gleaned many impressions of Spike O'Donnell from people who lived in St. Sabina and Little Flower Parishes who had nothing but very positive things to say about Mr. O'Donnell.

In short, I found the man to be a very compelling character.

Personally, I remember his funeral from Little Flower Church when I was in second or third grade - there were movie stars and public figures galore in attendance.

I try to do justiceto Mr. O'Donnell in The Chorito Hog Leg.