Rahm, my mail box stuffings told me was the reason Chicago has such a swell Moody's Rating and why big businesses love to soak their toes in the pot-holes on west Washington and Randolph street and drive. He's the business magnet, the oozing sack of honey sugar spilled out on the concrete and clay crumbling 'neath* our feets.
Yet, yet . . .I learn that Oprah is being quit of Chicago . . . altogether! Our iconic Steve Dahl with a tan and chick wardrobe will be as gone as the knocked out cats at a Pitchfork Musis Fest?
Oprah Winfrey and her collection of shows are settling in Hollywood.
By year’s end, Winfrey’s Chicago-based Harpo Studios will close its doors, with the 26-year-old company's productions transitioning to OWN headquarters in Los Angeles. The news, which Winfrey delivered in person to her Harpo staff on Tuesday morning, comes two months after her burgeoning cable network moved into a new space in West Hollywood. Though the Chicago lease continues through April 2016, Winfrey and her key executives intend to stop the back-and-forth routine they've been balancing for nearly half a decade sooner than that.
In a phone interview from the Harpo offices in Chicago, Winfrey acknowledges a mix of excitement and nostalgia. "[Chicago has] been everything for me. I've spent more hours in this building than I have any other building on Earth. ... We were here when there was nothing but hoes and rats on the street, and now it's one of the hottest neighborhoods [in Chicago]," she says, noting that OWN will stop shooting shows there as of Tuesday. "The time had come to downsize this part of the business and to move forward. It will be sad to say goodbye, but I look ahead with such a knowing that what the future holds is even more than I can see."
Well, I'll be dipped and rolled!! Oprah is down-sizing her operations . . .and that is exactly what Rahm Emanuel is doing to Chicago!
I will not miss the tubby she- scold anymore than I will miss dialing into WLS AM! Oprah did nothing for the poor black kids that I help go onto the colleges and trades and vocations of the American Middle Class.
Oprah's charity watch dog was no other than the CPS itchy-palm king Rufus Williams. Rufus, a nasty littleman, told me, 'Send no more Leo proposals for grants.' As if.
Oprah, like Pfleger, Jesse Jackson and Bill Ayers, are "chicago people" that lemmings always defend with a solemn -"They do alot of good." To which I invariably reply, " For example?" AND the crickets chirp, while tie two legged lemmings ooze away from me.
"Alpha Mike Foxtrot, Oprah" , to quote the late Vietnam hero and Chicago homice detective Martin J. Tully, take it with you; you didn't leave much here.
Maybe ex- Harpo Studio could be a Star Wars Museum and CPD blacksite, or a Presidential Mobile Library.
Now, let's see if Mayor Rahm gets asked about Oprah's Exodus? Gee, Mr. Rahm, if a 1%er leaves your Chicagoland what about all the 99%ers? Is that reall 'smart sizing?' Shouldn't we, after all really be Oprah-Sizing?
Strike that rock, Moses!
* I dunno, I just like it