Wednesday, March 05, 2014

Leo Wins a Stunner Over Carver at the Robeson Sectional



My right side is beaten black blue having stood to the immediate left of Miss Aurora Latifi throughout the second half of one of the best basketball games I have ever witnessed.  Miss Latifi, Leo High School Math Teacher and Mother Lion, is most demonstrative.  Every shot that went up signaled a pummeling of my right shoulder, arm and wrist.  Aurora Latifi, 49, has been a math teacher at Leo Catholic High School for the past 11 years and said she loves it.

The Lions played like . . .lions.  Here is Pat McGavin's report for the Sun Times.

Tuesday night, Leo saw the best and brightest and a future worth getting excited about.
Three Leo sophomores made vitally important plays. Emerging star guard Darius Branch scored 14 of his game-high 28 points in the fourth quarter. All told, the Lions stormed back from an 11-point deficit to beat Carver 74-67 in a Class 2A Robeson Sectional semifinal.
“My team was counting on me, and I couldn’t let them down,” Branch said. “I just wanted to win so badly.”
Branch scored 14 of the Lions’ final 17 points. The only three points for which he did not directly account proved the difference. Sophomore Darias Oliver drilled a three-pointer with 1:12 remaining to push Leo to a 70-67 advantage.. . .The quick and explosive Branch scored 22 points in the second half as Leo (14-13) erased a 44-34 deficit midway through the third quarter. . . .( read more)
I wish I stood next to Terry Bates -  I will on Friday at Robeson for the Sectional Final. 

No comments: