Wednesday, December 22, 2010

God Be With Our Firefighters!

CFD personnel evacuate an injured firefighter at a alarm fire at 1700 East 75th Street. (E. Jason Wambsgans/ Chicago Tribune)
UPDATE - I just spoke with Fire Hero Jim McMahon (CFD ret.) and learned of the deaths and circumstances of these young fireighters. No names were given. Here is the latest from the Chicago Sun Times -

Two Chicago firefighters were killed Wednesday morning after they were trapped when a wall collapsed at an abandoned, one-story, brick former laundry building on East 75th Street near South Shore High School.

Four other firefighters also were trapped before being pulled to safety.

Swarms of fellow firefighters flooded the disaster scene, furiously digging through rubble to find the missing firefighters. When they were located, they were quickly carried out of the building, with firefighters clearing a path.

God Bless Their Souls and May Christ Comfort Their Families.

This morning, while I worried about my self, Chicago firefighters were risking life and limb to save people and property. My neighbors are firefighters and policemen. They are generous, happy, dedicated young people.

They get a bad rap from the media at every possible turn and usually about some nonsense.

These heroes go where we would not. At least four CFD heroes are injured and one firefighter is as yet 'unaccounted for' - which means that a family is in horrific anguish.

May God Bless these young people who do so much for us all and shelter this firefighter in particular.

At least two other firefighters to taken to other hospitals but their conditions also were not known.
About half a dozen police cars and several fire vehicles were parked in front of the emergency room at Northwestern. Truck 122 pulled up and three firefighters walked in, including a lieutenant. One firefighter from Truck 122 was on a cell phone and wiped away tears with his jacket.

The fire broke out about 6:54 a.m. in the abandoned one-story brick building in the 1700 block of East 75th Street.

The fire was raised to two and then three alarms to save the trapped firefighters. A "mayday" was called. Firefighters also reported having problems with frozen hydrants.

No comments: