Sunday, January 25, 2009

Soupe, or Potage? The Grace of Feasting With Yours Truly!


The issue of gracious dining came to light as a the result of John Rubery and Anne Leary's Illinois Blog Tag.

One wonderful Chicago Blogsite - The Chicago Bungalow - presented me with an opportunity to address the vanishing civility and grace of dining en compagnie.


re: Cream Soup Spoons -4. 'I place a lot of stock in knowing the difference between a cream soup spoon and a regular soup spoon. Too bad they only make regular soup spoons in my everyday silverware. So much for manners.'


This may help!

Here on the south side, the wonderful wooden flat spoons that came with Dixie Cup ice cream* make splendid additions to my cutlery collection and it is fun to watch guests shovel away at a nice steaming bowl of Le velouté or La bisque - determined by my guests preferences for fresh vegetable or shell fish, n'cest pas.

Dining alone, ala Le Gavroche, it is my custom to encircle the tureen with my powerful right arm's tender embrace and launch the ladle in at full gallop! Man, that's good eatin'!

Bon Appetit!


*
Dixie Cup ice cream
Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:00 am Central Time

Why was it that eating a chocolate and vanilla twist Dixie Cup in school was the best treat ever?Any thoughts or memories?



This was the best during my younger elementary school days, I loved those little wooden spoons that came with the ice cream.I also think half the magic was eating the ice cream in school with all your friends in the cafeteria.
_________________
Far better it is to dare mighty things than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much,because they live in a grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat....T.Roosevelt

http://www.retroland.com/retrotalk/viewtopic.php?t=17746

No comments: